Bankhead Adventures

09 October 2007

Farm Chores

Paul and Amy have had many serious discussions about how to instill a strong work ethic in little James. What with all the conveniences of our leisurely modern lifestyle, we're worried that our children won't ever learn how to put their shoulders to the wheel and their noses to the grindstone. Our discussions have often come back to the idea that farm chores may be the best way to teach kids about hard work. That means we'll either have to ship James off to a dairy farm in Idaho or we'll have to move to a farm ourselves. Both options have major drawbacks. A third option presented itself on a recent trip to the San Francisco Zoo: Amy and James discovered the farm section of the zoo. Amy dutifully assigned James a heap of manual labor, sternly explaining that all the sheep better be brushed, watered, and fed by sundown. Unfortunately, James thought it was all fun and games. He had a fabulous time chasing the sheep around the pen, until one bleated right next to his ear and scared him silly. Guess we'll keep brainstorming about that work ethic thing.

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • I snorted through my nose laughing when I read the part about the sheep bleating near James' ear and scaring him silly. I'm still laughing.

    Your blogs are great. I love your humor.

    By Blogger Amy, at 9:52 PM  

  • I know Paul did cattle drives, but your exposure to farming was pretty much limited to looking at animals through fences at Wheeler Farm and somehow or other you picked up an incredible work ethic! That good old genetic woodpile maybe?

    XOXOXO

    By Blogger lauridawn, at 11:39 PM  

  • Whatever! Amy got some good experience at the Family Farm Campout!

    By Blogger Michelle Glauser, at 4:42 AM  

  • True that! Forgive my depleted brain cells!

    By Blogger lauridawn, at 10:02 AM  

  • haha. when I read mom's comment on how you didn't do any farm chores I thought about the family farm campou too! hahaha. what a classy family we have.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 PM  

  • I meant campout, not campou

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 PM  

  • so, I know I'm probably getting greedy here, but how come there hasn't been a new post yet?!!! I live 777 miles away and James is in the cutest stages ever and I need documentation! Pronto! *pretty please....*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:35 PM  

  • Maxwell clears his dishes and does his laundry. He also gets to clean up the playroom.

    James is going to end up working a musical work ethic. Thats something I need some serious help with.

    By Blogger Catherine M., at 10:11 PM  

  • Y'all crack me up.

    By Blogger TX Girl, at 5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home