Bankhead Adventures

15 June 2009

Change is bad

We just got back from our bi-annual trip to Havasupai in the Grand Canyon. About a year ago, a dam broke high above the canyon, flooding it with water and silt. Many of the pools we used to swim in are now only 6 inches deep and full of silt and much of the water is milky with silt instead of being crystal clear, but there are also entire new waterfalls and canyons that didn't exist before. Beaver falls was still jumpable, but the pool was too shallow for our usual mega jump

Sadly, Navajo falls has ceased to exist after the river was diverted elsewhere by the disaster. Check out the before and after photos, one in 2005 and the other last week. I was a bit disturbed to discover that the diving board I'd jumped off many a time was a thin sheet of dried mud, not a solid rock. Oops.

9 Comments:

  • that's crazy!

    By Blogger jamie, at 10:16 PM  

  • Um, Amy...have you ever done that jump????
    I would be huddled up like a baby in the fetal position.
    I don't enjoy jumping.

    By Blogger Amy, at 6:16 AM  

  • That is amazing. And so disappointing. Glad you were still able to make your trip, even if it wasn't what you expected.

    By Blogger Hammy, at 6:53 AM  

  • That is incredible and really sad! Was it still worth going?

    By Blogger Lori, at 10:41 AM  

  • Hi. I'm taking a break from regularly-scheduled thesis writing. It's kind of fun to not really have talked to a human being for the last 30 hours or so. I have 2/3 of the length. No time for revising, I guess. And, I wish it were better. But it's definitely not fun seeing that Havasupai is all wacked out. Do you think they'll ever revert the water back there? I guess the rocks do look pretty cool . . .

    By Blogger Michelle Glauser, at 1:52 PM  

  • Just a tad different. You two seem to make things fun no matter what the case.

    By Blogger Ashlee, at 6:34 PM  

  • We also love hiking the Grand Canyon...but never in June! You guys are real troopers!

    By Blogger Holly, at 9:23 AM  

  • Wow, that's crazy!

    By Blogger Cheri, at 12:24 AM  

  • Oh, wow. This is sad.

    I never jumped at Navajo Falls, but I enjoyed the area so much. All the pools and mini-falls....

    I'm glad I got to see it, at least.

    By Blogger Evan, at 6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home