Bankhead Adventures

31 July 2015

Backpacking to Mount Whitney 2015

Today is Amy and Paul's anniversary. We've been married 11 years. Seems like an appropriate day to cross-post my recent Stroller Hikes newsletter:

As a long-time Stroller Hikes leader, I do a lot of hiking with children. I believe there are myriad important benefits to moving around outside with my kids. But I also embrace hiking without children. Last month my husband and I left our children with family members and went backpacking for four days in Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. We covered 50 miles, ascending and descending thousands of feet in elevation every day. As we hiked, we analyzed song lyrics, reminisced about before we were married, discussed our parenting strategies, practiced our orienteering with a compass and map, exclaimed over the majestic views, but mostly moved through nature in silence. Stepping away from electronics and social calendars and work responsibilities and modern conveniences and into some of the most glorious landscapes on earth is renewing, enriching, sobering, and fun. So while I heartily endorse the message of Stroller Hikes’ logo to “get outside with baby,” I also encourage parents to occasionally get outside without baby, too.

And here is the photographic evidence:


First glimpse of Whitney behind the flag
First pass into the wilderness
Traditional lakeside yoga
Can you see Amy in this pic?

Second pass was a beast

Can you see Paul in this pic?

Sunset at our campsite

Paul spent lots of time with his compass and map.

Amy spent lots of time in her nature-filled happy place.

Shimmery lake and drying socks

To prove my minimalist shoes got me to the top without a blister

For Dad

Top of the world

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home